Friday 21 October 2016

JB: Experimentation with After Effects - Fuision 8.1. Progress 7/11/2016

In this experimentation, I found a clip with a relatively still frame and chose an area to manipulate, (in this case the box) with after effects.

In preparation for the editing I am going to be doing on After Effects, I thought that it would be important that I had had an experiment with the software before putting it together on the 'main stage' so to speak. For this I used two random clips which would need to work for the effect i was aiming to create.

Firstly, the outside frame which would act as the border frame for the photo montage would need to be relatively still and so that I could corner pin the track onto a feature of the video, (in this case the brown cardboard box) and so that the software would be able to track it with ease and without wiggling around manically. In order to achieve this I had to change the clip speed to make the transaction smoother.

Secondly, I chose a clip I used last year which shows the beginning of a conversation scene. I used colour grading in this clip to attempt to make it look old fashioned and as if it was a memory. I experimented with scales and proportions to try and pin point the frame exactly onto the box in an attempt to make the edit look seamless, natural and smooth.

Writing from 17/11/2016

After experimenting with both Adobe After Effects and Fusion 8.1, I came to the conclusion that the process of having to scale and plot each corner pin in a video would in fact be unrealistic and sheerly due to the amount of time this process would take, have decided to use a different form of software. Instead I am now editing on After Effects and instead of using two video layers and having to plot one video onto another and trying to get the first layer to track with the second. I am now using a simply photograph as this will reduce the complexities of trying to track a moving object. Hopefully this will speed up the process and make it less complex. As we want the montage to still look realistic and as if it is being filmed on a train, I have learn how to apply effects to the zooms and rotations of the scope on after effects and am planning on applying a changing range of zoom and cuts and also adding a 'wiggle' technique to rationalize the movements.


1 comment: